Kanye West’s Runaway Ego
I was really excited to hear that Yeezy was releasing this film/long music video for Runaway, promoting his forthcoming album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. I’m a huge fan of his and think he’s an absolute genius when it comes to music. So I peeped it via MTV.com and have mixed feelings about it….
I think it was a spectacular effort by West but.. it’s just too pretentious. Maybe I’m so critical about it because I’m an artist myself and I HATE when people get all pretentious about art, especially celebrities [ie. PHARRELL.. I love him but when it comes to art, he needs to shut his pretty mouth..]
It was random; it was a wannabe artistic symbolism, with all the deers and sheep in it.
If you don’t have the patience to sit through it, here’s the sequence of events that occurs in Runaway:
- Kanye drives through a dark street in a Czechoslovakian car by Tatra, while rapping about a Murcielago. He crashes his car into a bloody bird (Selita Ebanks)
- He takes her home and makes beats for her while she does some African dancing. Here, we see that West dresses her up in nothing but feathers.. Of course, because she’s a Victoria’s Secret model.
- Next scene: a little boy runs through a field wearing all red, holding a torch with red smoke coming out of it.
- Next scene: A marching band performs in a desert-like setting, surrounding a huge sculpture of Michael Jackson’s head. Fireworks blast in the background. Ku Klux Klan make a little cameo…
- Yeezy and bird enter a warehouse for a huge dinner. African Americans are dressed in all white while they are served by White servants. This scene is probably my favorite just because the track went so well with the entrance of the people [Track: Devil in a New Dress]
- West performs Runaway while White ballerinas perform dressed in all black. Sadly no cameo by Pusha T
- Selita Ebanks wilds out because a big bird is brought to the table on a plate for dinner. Kanye takes her back home and they sit on the rooftop. She says, “You know what I hate about your world? Anything that is different, you try to change, you try to tear it down..” – I think that’s symbolic for how everyone’s hating on Kanye! (that’s sarcasm by the way..)
- Then they have sex. Beastiality!