We scanned this Bergdorf Goodman ad from the latest issue of NY Mag. The total cost of the outfit in the advertisement is $2976. (And def over $3200 with tax!) Who wants to pay that kind of money to look punk rock?? It is a real slap in the face to the real DIY punk aesthetic but as we all know, the fashion business has little or no integrity for originality. Here is our cost conscious suggestions after the jump -
1. We searched Ebay for Leather Motorcycle Vests and came up with about 700 results, most of the vests were under a $100.
2. The classic wife beater by Hanes, a pack of 5 for $8.99, nothing can beat the price! That’s $1.80 a piece.
3. Simple gray skinny jeans available at Delias for $49.50, at this price you can easily customize them with rips and bleach with out a guilty conscious.
4. High Heeled Sandals – the least “punk” item – but these are cute and just under $65.
5. Star necklace- Girlprops at $14.99 – not as awesome but certainly cheaper!
6. Leather bracletes with studs – any Hot Topic or mall goth shop should have these for $5. or less.
Totaling $236.29 – still too much money to really call yourself “punk”!